Acorn Squash (1845); Orange Pekoe (1840); Imperial Crab (1945)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 11 05:06:38 UTC 2003

ACORN SQUASH

   OED has 1937 for "acorn squash."
   This continues "squash studies" that have included buttercup squash (1932), butternut squash (1944), crookneck squash (1839), pattypan squash (1835), spaghetti squash (1976), and turban squash (1872).

(NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES)
   Whitman, Narcissa Prentiss. "Letter from Narcissa Whitman to Mrs. L. L. Brewer, Febuary 20, 1845"
[Page 183 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
to your husband for him. He would write, if possible. He sends some corn as Mr. B. requested. He has none that has been particularly saved for seed; but will, next fall, if desired, save and send some New York corn, which we find to be very suitable for the country. Some beets and acorn squash seeds are in the bag with the corn. The others you requested, we have none. Please give my love to Brother and Sister Waller, to your husband and self and all the dear children, and believe me, in haste,

Yours affectionately,

N. W.
Mrs

Results Bibliography
Whitman, Narcissa Prentiss, 1808-1847, Letter from Narcissa Whitman to Mrs. L. L. Brewer, Febuary 20, 1845, in Mrs. Whitman's Letters 1843-1847. Salem, OR: Oregon Pioneer Association, 1894, pp. 167. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [2-20-1845] S232-D038

ORANGE PEKOE

   OED has 1877 for "orange pekoe" tea.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review (1839-1870), New York; Dec 1840; Vol. 3, Iss. 6
  Art. I.--Commerce of China; Anonymous; pg. 465, 17 pgs
Pg. 466 (TEAS):  Orange Pekoe.

IMPERIAL CRAB

   I should add that the same restaurant that served "crab imperial" in 1944 advertised "imperial crab" in 1945.

   Display Ad 2 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Oct 6, 1945; pg. 2, 1 pgs
("The King of the Sea, 3rd Ave., near 53rd St.")

OT:  EASTER ISLAND'S SEX, LIES AND FIELD NOTES

http://www.americandialect.org/excite/collections/adsl/000690.shtml

   In November 1998, I made the above post on "Easter Island Words."  My tour guide has published a fine book, AMONG STONE GIANTS: THE LIFE OF KATHERINE ROUTLEDGE AND HER REMARKABLE EXPEDITION TO EASTER ISLAND (NY: Scribner, 2003).  She's leading another tour of the island on November 1-16 (www.archaeologicaltrs.com).
   Last evening at the Explorers Club on East 79th Street (www.explorers.org), she gave a lecture on "Sex, Lies and Field Notes: Katherine Routledge and Easter Island Archaeology."  This was one of my first places on the world tour, and she remembered me after five years.
   I wasn't mentioned in "Sex, Lies and Field Notes."  Whew, that was close.