Leo Rosten died (in 1997)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 11 22:50:37 UTC 2003

  HUH??  From the archives at nytimes.com:

Magazine Desk | January 4, 1998, Sunday
The Lives They Lived: Leo Rosten; Talking Tachlis

By Wendy Wasserstein (NYT) 574 words
Late Edition - Final , Section 6 , Page 24 , Column 2 ABSTRACT - Wendy
Wasserstein tribute to Leo Rosten, humorist and author of book on Yiddish
language, who died in 1997; photo (M) b. 1908 Leo Rosten probably made
Seinfeld safe for TV and bagels acceptable on the Delta Shuttle. Although
Rosten was primarily a humorist, his larger purpose was to help us understand
our social selves. In our house, Yiddish was the language of the old country,
specifically Poland, and therefore the one that the ''kinder'' didn't
understand. My brother Bruce and I sought to decode secret transmissions by
signing him up for high-school German.