Sun-Dried Tomatoes (1981); Chicken Kieff (1938,1939); Crepes Suzette (1895)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 12 09:54:13 UTC 2003

SUN-DRIED TOMATOES

  Flashes in the Pan; The Washington Post (1974-Current file), Washington, D.C.; Oct 4, 1981; pg. K1, 1 pgs
("The tomato, over the centuries, has been back and forth across the Atlantic to seek favor. Now, with most of the year offering only pale tomato facsimiles, we turn to Italy again.  Sun-dried tomatoes, preserved in olive oil, were the flashy immigrants in posh food stores last year, so much so that the supplies ran out.  Now Suzanne's has them again, and we would be surprised if other stores didn't follow.  Their concentrated tomato flavor would compensate for winter's missing tomato-ness in recipes, but given their price--$7.20 for 10 ounces--and their deliciousness as is or layered on bread, they are better as a focus than as a flavoring.")

  ENTERTAIN: Menus for The Heart; By Susan Dooley; The Washington Post (1974-Current file), Washington, D.C.; Feb 9, 1981; pg. C5, 1 pgs
(Only a summary available--ed.)

CHICKEN A LA KIEFF

   I traveled to the Ukraine for this, but it didn't help.  I have earlier, but maybe this chef invented it?

  1.      Five High School Girls Win Prizes; Serve It Forth: Cutlets de Volaille, Muscovite As Served at Russian Troika; By Martha Ellyn. The Post Food Editor; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 1, 1939; pg. 1, 2 pgs
("Chef Feodor Karakos was 'kidnaped' by Helen Hamilton from the Maisonette Russe, St. Regis Hotel, New York City, and brought to Washington to insure the most excellent in Russian food.  Chef Feodor formerly presided over the food at the famous Opera Club, Chicago.  This famous chef is an artist with foods. (...) He says that four of his specialties which are extremely popular are--Breast of Chicken a la Kieff (boned breast of chicken with butter stuffing); Cutlet de Volaille. Muscovite (boned breast of chicken stuffed with mushroom dressing)...Caucasian Shashlik en Brochet...Flaming Beef. Strogonoff.")

  2.      News of Capital Night Clubs; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; May 31, 1939; pg. 22, 1 pgs

  3.      News of Capital Night Clubs; By Mary Harris; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Oct 26, 1938; pg. X16, 1 pgs

CREPES SUZETTE

  4.      Display Ad 6 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jan 10, 1898; pg. 7, 1 pgs

  5.      Display Ad 7 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 23, 1895; pg. 7, 1 pgs

  6.      Display Ad 8 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 16, 1895; pg. 7, 1 pgs:
   WODWARD & LOTHROP
The following weaves are among the most fashionable:
_Crepe Suzette_,
   In all evening shades
   85c per yd.