Wine names from 1859-60

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 13 14:38:35 UTC 2003

In a message dated 4/12/03 4:18:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
colburn at PEOPLEPC.COM writes:

> Presumably. Emerson was "the Sage of Concord" after all. I would guess this
>  is what we now know as the "Concord" grape, but I don't know anything about
>  grapes so that's ONLY a guess...

Afraid it was a bad guess.

Page 66
"No. 22. _Vitis labrusca._, the original Concord grape, a seedling from the
_Vitis labrusca._---This vine is now fifteen years old, and has borne
regularly for seven years.  <snip> The owner and propagaotr, Hon. E. W. Bull,
of Concord, Massachusetts, deserves much credit for the introduction of the
highly valuable grape.  Its character consists of the following points:
<snip> berries over medium size, oval, of a dark-blue color, thin skin,
juicy, and of an agreeable wine taste;  good for the table and wine making;
it ripens about the middle of September <snip>

No. 25. _Vitis labrusca._ Sage grape, a red-brown wild native grape, found in
the woods some years ago by Mr. Sage, and transplanted by Mr. R. W. Emerson,
of Concord, massachusetts, on the south side of his house.  <snip>  berries
of uncommonly large size, three berries weighing an ounce; round and
tolerably sweet; ripens early in September."

Also, page 129, discussing agriculture around Naples (then a kingdom): "a
grape called Wafrancola is spoken highly of, with a strawberry flavor and
coarse leaf, not subject to mildew."

     - Jim Landau