shyster, shylock

Thu Apr 17 15:02:35 UTC 2003

I looked-up ‘shyster’ in my handy Webster’s New
Collegiate (1977).  It gives the etymology as from Mr.
Scheuster, an attorney “frequently rebuked in a New
York court for pettifoggery”.  Any credence to that?

In this dictionary, 'shyster’ immediately follows
‘shylock’; if this is common in most dictionaries, it
probably reinforces an association between the two
words.  (The etymology for ‘shylock’ identifies
Shakespeare's Shylock as an usurer, not a lawyer.)

=====