you guys

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Apr 17 16:34:07 UTC 2003

Vocative "guys" alone has been around a long time, I suspect; I hear it all
the time addressed to either men alone, women alone, or a mixed group.  But
third person "guys" referring to women alone may be more recent and would
presumably require clarification: "All the guys said they'd
come."  Similarly, "we guys" (or "us guys") would be clear or unclear
depending on the sex of the speaker.