Hand-Me-Down (1826)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 18 06:49:17 UTC 2003

   The Word Spy yesterday had "hand-me-up," and it's mentioned that OED has 1874 for "hand-me-down."
   Merriam-Webster has 1827 for "hand-me-down."  Hm.

   Casket (1826-1830), Philadelphia; Sep 1826; Vol. VOL. I., Iss. 0      THE BRIDEGROOM'S PROBATION.; A Tale from the German, illustrating the mode in which the German writers treat English subjects. ; pg. 278, 2 pgs
(Pg. 278:  "The daughter of the colonel was an awkward country girl, with round chubby cheeks like Reuben's cherubim, and looking particularly odd in the hand-me-down attire of her sainted mother, which did not at all fit her, and was of course not of the most fashionable cut.")