Popover Pan (1895)

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Tue Apr 22 16:17:30 UTC 2003

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> POPOVER PAN
>
>    Not in OED, but what is?
>
>   SWEET POTATO SALAD.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.;
> Oct 14, 1919; pg. 10, 1 pgs
>
>   Display Ad 66 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.;
> May 5, 1918; pg. 24, 1 pgs
>
>   THE WOMEN OF ARMENIA; The Wives, Mothers, and Daughters of an Afflicted Nation.;
> New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Aug 18, 1895; pg. 21, 1 pgs
> ("Another dessert suggestion is to bake cottage pudding in gem or popover pans,
> thus giving to each person an individual pudding."  This untitled article is on the
> same page, following the "Women of Armenia" story.  The "popover pan" is not from
> Armenia--ed.)

Is "gem pan"? Is "cupcake pan"? frying pan, cake pan, pie pan,
peter pan ...

At what point, maybe Jesse or someone else can help me with this,
does something like "popover pan" make the OED? When is "gem pan"
simply a pan for making gems and when does "gem pan" become
something that qualifies for a separate dictionary entry?

Sal
--
Ye olde swarm of links: 3K+ useful links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious