Question

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Apr 25 18:14:22 UTC 2003

        An earlier use in the 9/18/87 issue of Newsday quotes alto saxophonist Bobby Watson:

        >>"I like to create little earworms," he says. "That way people
who don't know the technical side of the music will start humming."<<

        Several recent articles discuss earworms and mention other terms for them:

        "'Cognitively infectious' musical loops."  Observer, 4/6/03.

        "Stuck song syndrome," "repetitive refrain injury."  Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), 3/22/03.

        "Sticky tune."  Richmond Times-Dispatch, 3/20/03.  This seems to be the most popular term, after earworm.

        Several sources refer to "endomusia," the silent recall of a melody, citing Hinsie and Campbell, Psychiatric Dictionary, 4th ed.

John Baker