"I Scream for Ice Cream" Song

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 27 14:29:08 UTC 2003

Billy Moll published a song in 1927 entitled "I Scream, You Scream, We All
Scream for Ice Cream."  I know there have been a lot of postings on ADS-L
in the past about "I scream" and "ice cream," but can Barry Popik or
George Thompson or someone clarify for me whether this song was the origin
of the phrase in its title (as opposed to collocations of "I scream" and
"ice cream" that are not specifically that phrase).

Fred Shapiro