"A woman without a man" proverb

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Mon Apr 28 18:19:58 UTC 2003

"Baker, John" wrote:

>         The identity of the ungodly philosopher seems lost to, if not history, then at least Google.  Here's the most detailed online account, from http://archives.emazing.com/archives/womanday/2001-06-21:
>
>         >>In 1970, Irina Dunn was an Honors English student at the University of Sydney. In one of her favorite classes there, "From the 1870s to the 1920s," taught by Professor Catherine Runcie, Dunn read: "Man needs God (or religion) like a fish needs a bicycle." <<
>
>         Or perhaps not.  Here's a rival account, from http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/unknown.htm:
>
>         >>Man needs God like a fish needs a bicycle.
> -- Men's-room graffito in a Berkeley, California bar during the late 1960s, quoted by Robert Anton Wilson in Cosmic Trigger. This was later bastardized by feminists to read: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" or something along those lines.<<

The references I've been finding are to a quote by Vique
(whomsoever that may be) (who is called "Viques" in two places)
-- "A man without a god is like a fish without a bicycle."
alternatively stated as "A man without religion is like a fish
without a bicycle."

<http://www.google.com>
search: man fish god|religion

... but where that quote came from or who Vique[s] is is a whole
'nother question.

I am constantly reminded how "quotes" and "facts" can spread from
Web site to Web site to Web site with little or no vetting by the
webmeisters until they become common "knowledge."

Sal
--
Ye olde swarm of links: 3K+ useful links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious