Fwd: newzak (how new?)

Jonathon Green slang at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Mon Apr 28 18:40:58 UTC 2003

In 1969 I was working on a London-based 'underground' newspaper called
'Friends' (formerly Rolling Stone UK before Jann Wenner pulled the plug - we
were insufficiently respectful of rock stars - and, threatening a lawsuit,
forbade us the name 'Friends of Rolling Stone'). We wrote the first issue in
late November /  early December 1969 and as News Editor I required a name to
head up the news section: I came up with 'Newzak'. The paper appeared in
late December or possibly very early January 1970. The heading lasted for
the paper's life (I did not), which encompassed a couple of years of
fortnightly issues. I was completely unaware of the Muggeridge use of a year
or so earlier, although I was quite consciously parodying 'Muzak' (if the
requisite mixture of sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll, plus the necessary
'revolution' can be seen as either parody or indeed news.)

Jonathon Green