Cincinnatta (1882); Windy City (September 11, 1882)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 29 08:02:51 UTC 2003

   Greetings from New York City, after four hours' sleep on the bus from the
Library of Congress.  I'll wade through my Dept. of Agriculture publications
later.  For now, I'll help out two cities.

CINCINNATA

   DARE (vol. 1, pg. 2, under "-a" and not "Cincinnati") has 1884.  It
follows two entries on "Albana" and "Missoura."

   5 April 1882, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 8, col. 2:

      _Unofficial Information._
         (New York Sun.)
   Cincinnati people wish to hear the name pronounced "Cincin-nah-tee," not
"Cincin-natta."

WINDY CITY

   Earlier still.

   11 September 1882, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 1, col. 2:

   _CHICAGO'S RECORD._
_Crimes of a Day In the Windy CIty._