Carbo-Load (1983); Sugar-High (1985); CHEF'S COMPANION (2003)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 29 20:57:09 UTC 2003

CARBO-LOAD

   Not in OED.  Both this and the following item will probably be earlier (1970s) in the LOS ANGELES TIMES/CHICAGO TRIBUNE.  When I get a 1970s date, then I'll check running magazines for "carbo-load."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Carbo-Loading
The Washington Post (1974-Current file); Washington, D.C.; Nov 6, 1983; By Marion Cromley Special to The Washington Post;
Section:  FOOD
Start Page:  H4
Page Count:  1
Text Word Count:  476
Document Type:  article
Source Type:  HISTORICAL NEWSPAPER
ISSN:  01908286
Abstract:
CARBO-LOADING is a temporary diet-shift program born in the 1970s when researchers found that a pre-race diet heavy in carbohydrates could prolong a runner's endurance. Carbohydrates are stored in the muscles and liver as glycogen, the major fuel for muscle tissue. The trick is to get as much gly- cogen into the muscles as possible.

(WORLDCAT)
About: Free agents / (1); Apple, Max. (18)
Title: Free agents /
Author(s): Apple, Max.
Publication: New York : Harper & Row,
Edition: 1st ed.
Year: 1984
Language: English
Contents: Walt and Will -- Bridging -- Small island republics -- The eighth day -- Child's play -- Stranger at the table -- Carbo-loading -- The American bakery -- Pizza time -- Free agents -- Momma's boy -- Business talk -- Post-modernism -- Eskimo love -- The national debt -- The four apples -- Help -- Kitty partners -- An offering -- Blood relatives.
Standard No: ISBN: 0060152826 :; 0060911409 (pbk.) :; LCCN: 83-48810
Class Descriptors: LC: PS3551.P56; Dewey: 813/.54
Responsibility: Max Apple.
Material Type: Fiction (fic)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19831109
Update: 20011010
Accession No: OCLC: 10162152
Database: WorldCat

SUGAR-HIGH

   Not in OED.

(PROQUEST DIRECT)
CATALOGUES MULTIPLY IN SCRAMBLE FOR SALES
Chicago Tribune (pre-1997 Fulltext); Chicago, Ill.; Oct 8, 1985; Associated Press;
Sub Title:  [NATIONAL, C Edition]
Start Page:  3
ISSN:  10856706
Dateline:  WASHINGTON
(...)
If that doesn't send your kids on a sugar high, try a 10-pound chocolate bar from Hershey's.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  Making a Hero Takes a Heroic Effort; By MARIAN E. BORDEN; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Oct 27, 1985; pg. WC26, 1 pgs
("Especially when I was left eating dozens of small boxes of raisins, while my kids were floating on a sugar high.")

  A Weekly Guide to Family Dining; Hot Shoppes Cafeterias; By PAT McNEES Special to The Washington Post; The Washington Post (1974-Current file), Washington, D.C.; Apr 16, 1981; pg. MD8, 1 pgs
(Full text not available-abstract only--ed.)

(WORLDCAT)
Stories written by: hyper-active, sugar high young adults II /