Charleston's "City by the Sea" (1865-1871)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 3 12:12:43 UTC 2003

>THE JUHL LETTERS TO THE _CHARLESTON COURIER_:
>A VIEW OF THE SOUTH, 1865-1871
>edited by John Hammond Moore
>Athens: University of Georgia Press
>1974
>
>    Some interesting stuff.
>    CITY BY THE SEA was the title of a recent bad movie with Robert
>DeNiro, taking place in Long Beach.

Set in Long Beach (L.I., not California, for you non-New Yorkers),
but filmed in New Jersey (Asbury Park, if memory serves) because the
actual Long Beach wasn't seedy enough to shoot it there, I'll have
you know!

Larry
(Long Beach High School, '61, who remembers his ex-hometown promoting
itself as "America's Healthiest City" on an oil drum just outside of
town, but not as "City By the Sea")