Rib-Off (1986); Rip-Off (1970); Bake-Off (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 3 22:32:37 UTC 2003

   Rib-Off?
   Yes, I've been reading about "rib-offs" this summer.  It follows "bake-off" and, perhaps, "rip-off."  "Rib-off" is not recorded in the usual books.
   I've gotta believe some evil woman is behind this "rib-off" thing.

(PROQUEST)
Chicago Tribune (Pre-1997 Fulltext). Chicago, Ill.: Jan 10, 1986.  pg. 26
Abstract (Article Summary)
Steve Birger of Stevie B's Rib Cafe is a friendly soul, but as his business on Halsted Street sagged a bit in the fall, he figured a little combativeness might help the cause. This is Chicago, after all. The rib business in this town is tough stuff.

He got no response, hostile or otherwise, from the competitors. So he called around. "Did you see my ad?" he asked. Unfortunately, it seemed no one had. The street fight he had wished for (along with the attention of the violence-prone food media) was not coming his way. But he still wanted to do something obnoxious, stir up some interest. So he called the Limelight. Let's do a rib contest, he said.

The Limelight loved the idea. It would sponsor the battle. And sure enough, the Great Chicago Riboff is scheduled for 10 p.m. Tuesday at the new wave dance club where people might seem as likely to put barbecue sauce in their hair as on their plate. Admittedly, the Limelight, 632 N. Dearborn St., had some false starts in getting the date set and just how great a riboff it will be remains to be seen.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
 From: Joseph Slater (sasjzs at falcon.unx.sas.com)
 Subject: Re: Barbecue
 Newsgroups: triangle.dining, triangle.general
 Date: 1994-07-15 16:22:47 PST
     (...)
Mind you, I haven't been there in several years (I make my own now), but I found OT's Q to be better than anywhere else in the Triangle area. Even Bullock's. I did try Red Hot and Blue's (do I have that right?) ribs at the rib-off on Memorial Day, and liked them a lot too. If you're looking for Q, try them, and if you don't like them, I'll eat the leftovers {:*)
-- Joe Slater
SASJZS at VMS.SAS.COM

 (TRADEMARK)
 Word Mark   GREAT AMERICAN RIB COOK-OFF
 Goods and Services  (ABANDONED) IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: entertainment services, namely organizing and promoting concerts and festivals with facilities for entertainment, games and refreshments. FIRST USE: 19900410. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19900410
 Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
 Serial Number   75076325
 Filing Date February 29, 1996
 Owner   (APPLICANT) GREAT AMERICAN RIB COOK-OFF INC. CORPORATION OHIO 44 North Main Street Chagrin Falls OHIO 44022
 Attorney of Record  Lawrence Lighter
 Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
 Register    PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
 Abandonment Date    April 18, 1997

 (TRADEMARK)
 Word Mark   THE GREAT YANKEE RIB COOK-OFF
 Goods and Services  (CANCELLED) IC 041. US 107. G & S: entertainment services; namely, organizing and conducting outdoor events comprised of a restaurant competition, a food festival and musical entertainment. FIRST USE: 19920924. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19920924
 Mark Drawing Code   (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
 Design Search Code  020101 020107 020120 020131 020915 110103 220106 220112 240907 260502 260701 261127
 Serial Number   74368412
 Filing Date March 16, 1993
 Published for Opposition    November 23, 1993
 Registration Number 1821771
 Registration Date   February 15, 1994
 Owner   (REGISTRANT) Boston Baked Limited Partnership composed of The Boston Baked Corporation, a Massachusetts corporation LIMITED PARTNERSHIP MASSACHUSETTS c/o Todd R. Saunders 64 Arlington Street, Suite 314 Boston MASSACHUSETTS 02117
 Attorney of Record  F. Andrew Anderson
 Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "RIB COOK-OFF" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
 Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
 Register    PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
 Cancellation Date   February 24, 2001

 (TRADEMARK)
 Word Mark   GREAT AMERICAN RIB COOK-OFF
 Goods and Services  IC 041. US 107. G & S: food festivals featuring a variety of activities; namely, music concerts, food concessions, sporting contests, rib-cooking contests, or combinations of these events. FIRST USE: 19920500. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19920500
 Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
 Serial Number   74241621
 Filing Date January 30, 1992
 Filed ITU   FILED AS ITU
 Published for Opposition    December 15, 1992
 Registration Number 1803931
 Registration Date   November 9, 1993
 Owner   (REGISTRANT) Belkin Productions, Inc. CORPORATION OHIO 44 North Main Street Chagrin Falls OHIO 44022
 Attorney of Record  D. Peter Hochberg
 Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "RIB COOK-OFF" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
 Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
 Register    PRINCIPAL
 Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
 Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
      Here's the Recipe That Won $50,000
              The Washington Post  (1877-1954).       Washington, D.C.: Jan 12, 1950.                   p. B3 (1 page)

      News of Food
       By JANE NICKERSON.       New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Dec 13, 1949.                   p. 46 (1 page)
        Yesterday the 100 finalists in the Pillsbury National Recipe Contest took over the grand ballroom of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, turning a room favored for autmobile shows and debutante balls into a fragrant, friendly kitchen.  Results of what Pillsbury termed "the Bake-off" will be announced today at a luncheon on the hotel's Starlight Roof, when Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt will present nine awards ranging from $500 to $50,000.

(TRADEMARK)
 BAKE-OFF
 Goods and Services
IC  035.  US 101.  G & S: COOKING CONTESTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROMOTING THE CREATION OF NEW RECIPES.  FIRST USE: 19500000.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19500000
 Mark Drawing Code
(1) TYPED DRAWING
 Serial Number
72354774
 Filing Date
March 23, 1970
 Registration Number
0938249
 Registration Date
July 18, 1972
Owner
(REGISTRANT) PILLSBURY COMPANY, THE CORPORATION DELAWARE NUMBER ONE GENERAL MILLS BLVD. MINNEAPOLIS MINNESOTA 55426
 Attorney of Record
JOSHUA J. BURKE
 Prior Registrations
0871348
 Type of Mark
SERVICE MARK
PRINCIPAL
 Affidavit Text
SECT 15.  SECT 8 (6-YR).  SECTION 8(10-YR) 20020509.
 Renewal
2ND RENEWAL   20020509
 Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
      A Black View of 'Sambo'
       By LARRY NEAL.       New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Jan 11, 1970.                   p. 83 (1 page)
   RIP off.  Another black man ripped off by this freakish age in which we live.

 (The next HDAS has--?--ed.)