Don't like weather?  Wait five minutes  (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 4 02:00:42 UTC 2003

   People keep saying a cliche like this (as I posted yesterday), but no one records it.  Tour guides have used this line the world over.  It's not just Chicago.

1.
      Provincetown Is Eroding, Like Cape Cod and the Haddock
       One of a series by the author of "The Strawberry Statement."By James S. Kunen.       The Washington Post, Times Herald  (1959-1973).       Washington, D.C.: Jul 27, 1969.                   p. 36 (1 page)
   Provincetown is trying not to think about it, girding itself instead for "the season."  "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes," they say, referring to how the winds from the Atlantic bring in clouds only to sweep them away to rain on people who have not seen the sun.
(Sun? Sea?  I can't read the last word--ed.)

2.
      IN WASHINGTON
       By KATHERINE SMITH..       The Washington Post  (1877-1954).       Washington, D.C.: Mar 4, 1934.                   p. SM2 (1 page)
      _5. Typical._
The out-of-towners visiting
   Are often prone to criticize
Our weather.  Will it rain or snow,