Army Slang (April 1917)

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Mon Aug 4 01:58:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:49:36 -0400 Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    Some people are going to be surprised, however, when they hear
> guardsmen referring to "ole Bill."  "Ole Bill" is not a departed
> comrade, merely "corned Willie" under another alias.

My godfather was an early 20th century Yalie. Hanging on my study wall is
his hazing paddle, an intricately carved piece, a work of art really. It
is dated November 26, 1912 and presented to "Old Bill Rosenfield."  I've
always wondered about that. Why would anyone call an 18 year old man "Old
Bill"?

I am wondering now whether this was a hangover from the Spanish American
war. In that era nicknames were applied without a great deal of
originality, much like "blonde bombshell" was used for any flaxen haired
girl in the 50s. Is there any evidence of how long "Ole Bill" might have
remained current?