Ocean State (1969); "Army Slang" post

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 4 04:00:48 UTC 2003

"ARMY SLANG" ADS-L POST

CORRAHU--typed as spelled in the article.
ABORROTES--typed as spelled in the article.

   Keep in mind this is 1917 Rhode Island Spanish...Once again, NYU destroyed my prior post and I have to type this all again in about three minutes.

OCEAN STATE

Rhode Island's nickname is the Ocean State.  Measuring only 48 miles north to south and 37 miles east to west, it is the smallest state in the United States.  However, a considerable portion of Rhode Island's real estate fronts the Atlantic Ocean and the wide, deeply convuluted narragansett bay.  Becuase of all its inlets, peninuslas, and bays, it's estimated that the coastline of Rhode Island adds up to more than 400 miles.
--Brooke Dojny, THE NEW ENGLAND CLAM SHACK COOKBOOK (2003), pg. 139.

   "Ocean State" is surprisingly recent.  Even the trademarks are 1980s.

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Guide to the Ocean State /
 Corp Author: Channell Communications Publication: Warwick, R.I. : Channell Communications, 1969
Document: English : Serial Publication  : Periodical : Monthly

Discover Rhode Island :
"the Ocean State".
Publication: [S.l. : s.n., 1970s-1970s?
Document: English : Book

Erosion :
Rhode Island, Ocean State /
 Corp Author: United States., Soil Conservation Service
Publication: [S.l.] : The Service, 1970s-1970s?
Document: English : Book

A brief history of the Rhode Island National Guard, "pride of the Ocean State" /