Jazz (1912, 1919, 1921)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 5 02:16:07 UTC 2003

   Congratulations to George Thompson for that 1912 LOS ANGELES TIMES "jazz."  I didn't look through all the citations because I thought that Fred Shapiro got there first.  Also, I thought that the Ancestry.com California newspapers were going to be a better chance for "jazz."
   I'll take a Library of Congress trip on Wednesday to check out the actual page, as well as other Los Angeles newspapers (HERALD, EXPRESS).
   Here are some LOS ANGELES TIMES items.

   BEN'S JAZZ CURVE.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 2, 1912. p. III2 (1 page)

   Take It from Bee Palmer, Jazzopate Yourself to Fame.
Jane Dixon.. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 2, 1919. p. III42 (1 page):
   When cornered on the subject of jazz fortunes "Frisco" the prince of jazzbos, had something to say concerning the origin of the word.
      JAZZ BORN IN CHICAGO.
   "The name jazz was born in Chicago," he related.  "A colored comedian by the name of James ("Fat") Thompson--you know "fat"--was explaning to the judge why he ought to nick his wife for a divorce.  "Fat" came from down in Texas somewhere, and before he turned artist and actor, he killed snakes for a living.
   "Well, fat was acting out for the judge.  He kinda figured his act floppin, so he slapped on a sure fire tag line.  'Judge,' he hollered, 'this woman o' mine is--well, she's--she's jest a jazz, Judge, that's all you call her, a jazz.'
   "Some of Fat's cronies were there for the obsequies and they passed the jazz along.  The word has been knocking 'em for a goal ever since."

   QUESTIONS ANSWERED.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 25, 1921. p. II6 (1 page):
Question:  What is the origin of the word "jazz"?  A. B. C.
Answer:  The word "jazz," according to Walter Kingsley, is of AMerican origin.  The word has been found in the Creole patois and idiom of New Orleans, where it means "speeding up things."  The Creoles adopted it from the negroes and applied it to rudimentary and syncopated music.

("Jazz" is here in 1912 and we get this bad answer in 1921?--ed.)