y'all

LJT777 at AOL.COM LJT777 at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 5 14:33:42 UTC 2003

Born and raised in the South, I have never heard another Southerner use
"y'all" as a singular.  When you observe one person saying to another, "Y'all come
to see us sometime," the speaker is not referring to the listener alone; what
you are not seeing are the umpteen relatives and/or friends that aren't
present but that both participants know are being referred to.  What you won't see
is one Southerner say to another, "Y'all sure do look pretty this morning."
We also make "y'all" possessive.  Many times I've heard people say something
like "Y'all's programs are on your chairs."