y'all

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Aug 6 15:09:19 UTC 2003

My understanding, from recent discussion with some Kentuckians (for some
of the same reasons that brought me to this list), is that there are a
number of variations within the state for the "you" formation: "you'all"
is the standard in Louisville (as it is in much of Texas, or was when I
was growing up); "y'all" prevails in the rest of the state, with at
least one exception; (and thank you for this spelling; I had always
envisioned it "ya'll," and now I'll have to decide what to use!); and
"you'uns" (or, as Aubrey Gruber spells it in *Mountain-ese: Basic Grammar
for Appalachia*, "youens," which she (he?) declares to be plural).  I am
told that "you'uns" is also used in Ohio and Indiana, though not by all,
or everywhere.

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>