Homeland Defense (1999)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 8 00:42:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Dave Wilton wrote:

> I ran across an early use of "homeland defense" in a US context the other
> day. I haven't found an earlier use of "homeland" in an American context.
> It's in the title (and text) of a US Army document: "Supporting Homeland
> Defense", US Army Training and Doctrine Command, 22 April 1999. The phase
> "homeland security" does not appear in the document.

"Homeland" was a pretty common term in defense discussions before 1999.
For example:

1992 _Washington Quarterly_ Summer  Defenses against missile and air
attack must be integrated into U.S. forces and homeland defenses as a
means of neutralizing the smaller, cruder forces of regional adversaries.

Fred Shapiro