Ajilimojili (1948)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 10 01:48:08 UTC 2003

   "Ajilimojili" (or "ajili mojili," a garlic and vinegar sauce) is not in the OED...My wife, Jennifer Lopez, says she rejected it as the name for her latest movie.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2002/vol6n18/CBAjiliMojili-en.shtml
CARIBBEAN BUSINESS
Ajili Mojili to become first upscale Latin restaurant franchise in U.S. mainland
Moves to new Condado location, to open in Dorado
BY TAINA ROSA
May 2, 2002
Copyright © 2002 CARIBBEAN BUSINESS. All Rights Reserved.

The newly created and locally owned Ajili Mojili Group of Restaurants is investing $3 million to begin franchising the upscale Ajili Mojili restaurant, to open a new restaurant in Dorado, and to develop retail products and services. Ajili Mojili executives expect to rake in $8 million during their first year operating.

"Ajili Mojili Group of Restaurants was created to spearhead our expansion and diversification efforts," said Rafael Benitez, co-owner of the company. "We decided to expand because Ajili Mojili–the name of our specialty sauce–is already a well known brand name. People from all over the world come here and ask us to open a franchise in their city.

PUERTO RICAN COOKBOOK
by Eliza B. K. Dooley
Richmond, Virginia: The Dietz Press, Incorporated
1948
Second Printing 1950

Pg. 50:
   AJILIMOJILI SAUCE FOR ROAST PIG
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 peppercorns
1 cup olive oil
1/2 garlic crown (that is half the cloves from one crown of garlic)
Red hot pepper
1 cup lemon juice
   Pound together in a mortar, then add enough water to strain it all.  Add olive oil and lemon juice.  Use to baste the pig while roasting.