Peanut Hickey, Cheese Bar, Kwickie, Baby Aspirin, Bobbies; Skimper

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 14 08:16:38 UTC 2003

  From the same web site as previously posted.  I didn't find much follow-up
on the ancestry.com newspapers.

http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/topics/localwords.htm
From:    rwahlstr at potlatch.esd112.wednet.edu (Rick Wahlstrom)
Here's one for your. I grew up in Northern Minnesota where cantelope is
called Muskmelon. Now I'm in Oregon and everyone just stares when I call
a cantelope muskmelon.
Jerry,
I'm enjoying your collections of words and phrases. When I moved to
Falls City, I discovered several food items that were different.
Peanut Hickey - Ice cream sundae with chocolate and redskin peanuts
Cheese bar - Chunk of cheddar cheese dipped in corn meal batter and
    deep fried
Kwickie - Corn dog (hot dog dipped in corn meal batter and deep fried)
Baby Aspirin - Equal mixture of orange and strawberry pops (or sodas)
Bobbies - Tater Tots
Pronunciations can also be different. When I moved to Nebraska from
Minnesota, I discovered that aunt (aw sound) was now an aunt (pronounced
like ant).
Judi Carter, Technology/Curriculum Coordinator,Falls City Public Schools
(...)
From:    asimkins at costamesa.bozell.com (Andrea Simkins)
I've got some more interesting words for you from the interns at Bozell,
Salvati, Montgomery Sakoda in Costa Mesa California Mark from Wisconsin-Bubbler is
a water fountain, sucker instead of lolliop, a cheese sandwich is a skimper
Andrea from Delaware-To "bag up" means to laugh, jimmies on ice cream cones,
not sprinkles; I've also heard people call a drawer a 'draw', subs are also
called hoagies When I was London, the bathroom was called simply toilet. A
bathroom meant you needed a bath or shower. Brad from Seattle- tennis shoes instead
of sneakers; dungarees instead of jeans Tony from Chicago-washroom instead of
bathroom Kristen from Connecticut-highway instead of freeway; in Detroit it is
called expressway
(...)
When I was a teen, I worked in an ice-cream (soft serve) store in Michigan.
It was not a Dairy Queen, but that's how people referred to it. When ordering
what we called a twist, half chocolate, half vanilla, some called it a
half-and-half, some a twirl, and some a squirrel!. We would get confused when a
customer ordered a twist, but meant just plain vanilla. The twist referred, I
suppose, to the way the ice cream looked.
We also served root beer floats, known to some as brown or black cows. To us,
sodas meant plain soda water, a squirt of flavoring like chocoalte or
strawberry and ice cream, not pop.
While living in North Carolina, where people went to shows instead of to the
movies, the most difficult phrase to get used to was, "Hey" used as a greeting
as in, "Hey, Charlotte, how're you? or just "Hey!" like "Hi!" The first few
times I heard "Hey" onWhile living in North Carolina, where peop
-Charlotte Diller
Chicago, Illinois