"Hot Dog" in Sunday Times Magazine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 16 00:28:34 UTC 2003

   The Sunday NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE is online.  See the "hot dog" article
at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/magazine/17FOOD.html

   The "hot dog" explanation is wrong.  There's a recipe here for the "hot
dog bun."
   Maybe someone can write in and set the record straight.  Not me, of
course.  You see, I live in New York City.  The Times should know that I solved "hot
dog" and even...nah, just kill me.
   Memo to Jonathan Reynolds and NY Times copy editors:  Vienna is called
"Wien."  Try "wiener."

FOOD
Dog Days
By JONATHAN REYNOLDS
(...)
Although technically a member of the Bruhwurst family and originating in or
around Frankfurt, Germany, in the mid-17th century (hence the official name,
''frankfurter''), the first hot dogs were made with pork and bacon. A variation
was then brought to Vienna (hence the name ''weiner'') by a wily butcher in
1904, but the dog was ultimately refined (or de-refined) at Coney Island by
Nathan Handwerker in 1916 (hence the name ''Nathan's''). Because of its
resemblance to a dachshund, it became known as the hot dog. I don't know where the name
Hebrew National came from, but it has a great ad campaign.