Canuck (1843); Oregon newspapers (1861-1888)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 18 07:43:34 UTC 2003

OREGON NEWSPAPERS

   Wonder of wonders, miracles of miracles!  Ancestry.com has just added two
newspapers--two Oregon newspapers!
   The MORNING OREGONIAN (Portland), 1861-88.  The DAILY OREGONIAN
(Portland), 1875.
    Too early for "jazz," but I typed "jazz" into both, anyway.  I got WEB
SITE NOT RESPONDING.

CANUCK

   From Paper of Record...It highlights the term--good.  You can't search
phrases--bad.  About the same as Ancestry.com searches, but more limiting with
this one-newspaper-at-a-time restriction.

THE MONTREAL TRANSCRIPT
Pg. 2, col. 5:

   NOT AT ALL PERSONAL.--The Editor of the _Statesman_ calls the Editor of
the _Chronicle & Gazette_ "A useless, good-for-nothing, leaden headed mock
genteel loafer, who is 1-2 Yankee, 3-8th Scotch, 1-16th Canuck, 1-32nd English, and
the other part of the fraction, which it takes to make up the whole,
nondescript mongrel;" and immediately afterwards professes "a strict desire not to
fall into the vice of personality, for which the Press of this continent has
become notoriously proverbial."--_British Whig_.