Rumbling-pot

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Aug 22 17:59:09 UTC 2003

It's certainly an odd word, but one which, as you way, turns up in a
few places online, always in reference to Dutch folk music. I suspect
that the English translation of the Dutch name has had too little
circulation in English-language works for it to have been considered
worth adding to dictionaries.

If you want to see a picture of one, visit

<http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/
CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG5416>

(you can click on the image to enlarge it). I'll leave it to the
musicologists among us to describe how it was played and how it
sounded, though it looks like the archetypal noise-maker to me.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words