antedating of buying/selling the Brooklyn Bridge (1919)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sat Aug 23 02:16:58 UTC 2003

Actually, it's not new, just never been noticed.   Barry had 1920 from a NYT
article I think.

One of our more sharp-eyed Staff Reports people over at the Straight Dope
must have been reading the OED in his spare time, and noticed that under
"bughouse" the OED cites:

{1919 F. HURST Humoresque 316 It's too bad a nut from the bug-house bought
the Brooklyn Bridge to-day or I'd try to sell it to you. }

Actually, I think there will be a Staff Report soon over at Straight Dope.
Any help on extending the dating of the scam would be appreciated and noted
with thanks.

SC