Hotsicle (1985, 1989)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 24 21:24:27 UTC 2003

  There are only 22 total Google hits for "hotsicle."  I thought the below was worth reading, anyway.

(PROQUEST NEWSPAPERS)
Notes on the Chili Movement:[Home Edition]
AL MARTINEZ. The Los Angeles Times (Pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 10, 1989.  pg. 2

(...)

   When I asked Ormly why chili ought to be declared the nation's official food, he said because it is an authentic American creation. "Mexicans created chili peppers," he added quickly, in deference, I suppose, to my ethnic linkage, "but range cooks created chili."

   These range cooks discovered in the 1890s, says Ormly, that packing meat with chili helped preserve it. Then they added beans to make it go further and voila! you got your chili beans, a Western staple. Chasen's restaurant dignified it years later.

   "They began serving it in jails back then," Ormly said, peering at me through those squinty cowboy eyes, "and it was so good, people committed crimes to get to the chili."

   Also part of chili folklore is that a Spanish nun created chili in the 1600s and through an out-of-body, time-propelled experience appeared before a tribe of Indians in the Southwest 200 years in the future. Chili will do that to you sometimes. Once there, she taught the Indians how to make chili and then returned to her body, Spain and the 1600s.

   Ormly tells the story scornfully. It does not fit the All American image of chili. It isn't the Indians, who are the ultimate All-Americans, but he does mind the Iberian intrusion.

   "Why chili and not apple pie and hot dogs as the official American food?" I asked.

    "Apple pie and hot dogs are very nice, " Ormly said, "but they're from Germany."

   Ormly sidestepped the question of fried chicken, hamburgers, pizza, grits and blackened red fish, which is also out this year by the way. He preferred instead to tell me of a friend who has invented chili-on-a-stick. "He calls it," Ormly said grandly, "a hotsicle."

   Ormly feels this is chili's year. He and his fellow chili junkies are busy gathering a million signatures on petitions that ask Congress to make chili official. That's OK with me. I'm tired of chicken, I don't like hamburgers and 10 strong men holding me to the ground can't make me eat pizza.

   The only thing more American than chili is a bald eagle, and I'm reasonably certain they won't let us eat them.

(TRADEMARKS)
 Word Mark
 HOTSICLE
 Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC  030.  US 046.  G & S: FOOD ITEMS, MORE PARTICULARLY CHILI ON A STICK, WHICH COMPRISES CHILI CONTAINED IN AN EDIBLE CASING. FIRST USE: 19850200.  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19850200
 Mark Drawing Code
(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code
011503
 Serial Number
73524449
 Filing Date
February 28, 1985
 Owner
(APPLICANT) TIMINS, AL INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 10424 TUJUNGA CANYON BOULEVARD TUJUNGA CALIFORNIA 91042
 Attorney of Record
JEFFREY G. SHELDON
 Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
 Abandonment Date
October 30, 1985

(TRADEMARKS)
 Word Mark
 HOTSICLE
 Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC  029.  US 046.  G & S: mixture of chili stuffed into a casing, served with or without a stick, with or without a tray
 Mark Drawing Code
(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
 Design Search Code
011503 270305
 Serial Number
74097014
 Filing Date
September 12, 1990
 Filed ITU
FILED AS ITU
 Published for Opposition
 July 16, 1991
 Owner
(APPLICANT) HOTSICLE ENTERPRISES, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA P.O. Box 12233 La Crescenta CALIFORNIA 91214
 Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
PRINCIPAL
 Live/Dead Indicator