a nice folk etymology or two

Barnhart ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM
Mon Aug 25 17:54:18 UTC 2003

laurence.horn at YALE.EDU,Net writes:
>I do like "diluted state" too, and it may even be more original as a
>reanalysis (for obvious reasons, it's harder to check).  There are,
>in fact, 475 google hits for _unbenounced_!

I glanced at the first 240 web sites.  There appeared to be no regular
publications.  I then applied the search term in Google News and
received 0 hits.  When I go to Vassar College library tomorrow, I'll
check to see what's on Nexis, etc.   Unbeknownst is listed in the Brown
Count with only 1-01-001.  It is not listed in the AH Word Frequency
Word Book.  It appears only once in James Joyce's Ulysses.  "Making of
America" turned up 22+48=70 hits.

Regards,
David
barnhart at highlands.com