Plumcot (1903)

degustibus degustibus14 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 30 15:22:57 UTC 2003

A more pressing question is the distinction between
prunes and plums, since "prune" is out of favor, and
the FDA had approved the name change of prunes to
plums, the prune presumable carrying less positive
connotations to shoppers in the 35-50 age range.

The OED doesn't help:

Under plum: "The fruit of the tree Prunus domestica, a
roundish fleshy drupe of varying size and colour,
covered with a glaucous mealy bloom, and having a
somewhat flat pointed stone and sweet pulp."

Prune:  "The fruit of the plum-tree; a plum; also, the
tree, Prunus domestica." & " U.S. A variety of plum
suitable for drying."

I myself have a prune tree and a plum tree and they
are Different.

If we call dried prunes dried plums, will not plums
over a period of time come to have the same negative
connotations as prunes presumable have?

--like a dried up plum.  plum-faced.  plumish.  I thnk
she/he's a bit of a plum.