Fungi (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 1 04:25:17 UTC 2003

   Sorry about the multiple "fungi" posts.  I searched again for "corn" instead of "cornmeal" on JSTOR.  This citation has "corn-meal" on two lines...OED doesn't record the Virgin Islands' "Cha Cha"?
   I won't have a free NYPL day anytime soon to antedate this.  When I do make it to the library, there will be 40 David Shulman Christmas poems to listen to.

The Chachas of St. Thomas
Earl B. Shaw
The Scientific Monthly, Vol. 38, No. 2. (Feb., 1934), pp. 136-145.
Pg. 144: The meals of the fisher folk consist mainly of fish, fungi,* and "soups" and "teas" often made from indigenous plants.
   *Fungi is a gruel made largely out of corn-meal.  The meal is imported, for it can be shipped in cheaper than corn can be grown and prepared.