Hail Mary (1972)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 4 09:48:51 UTC 2003

   THE SPORTING NEWS digitization on paperofecord.com looks complete.  There
are in surprises for "jazz" or "hot dog" or "Yankees" or "Bronx cheer."

   15 January 1972, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 8, col. 2:
      _Hardin Recalls Feat_
   His former Navy coach, Wayne Hardin, recalled recently:  "I remember a
game at Michigan.  We were on the 20 and Roger rolled right and got hammered in.
He was bobbing and weaving and kept retreating, back to the 30.  He was
surrounded and upended.
   "He was parallel to the ground, his feet in mid-air and he threw a pass to
Pat Donnelly, who made a one-yard gain.  Afterward, I asked if he really saw
Pat or if he was throwing it away.
   "He said, 'Let's just call it my Hail Mary Play.'"
   So the Cowboys have got staubach and his "Hail Mary" plays, they've got
running backs like Duane Thomas and Calvin Hill, they've got top receivers, a
talented offensive line and the Doomsday Defense.