Underwater Basket Weaving(1958)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Dec 7 16:20:56 UTC 2003

.I'm sure this is a US phrase referring to a college course that is
rediculously easy, one that NO ONE could possibly flunk, not even the jocks.

I couldn't find a cite for it anywhere(OED, our archives, Christine Ammer,
Ayto, alt.useage.english, etc.)

The earliest ancesty.com cite was from the Appleton Post Crescent, May 14,
1958:  p. ?, col. 6-7.  From the 'Potomac Fever' column written by Fletcher
Knebel---

     <<One seaside university is bowing to the stern educational demands of
the times by eliminating its popular course in underwater basket weaving.>>

Question:  was there actually such a course at a university at that time?
Or was this just a useage of a metaphor that was known and used earlier?

I'm certain that Fred or Barry or others who have access to NYTimes, Wash.
Post, L.A. Times will find an earlier cite.

Sam Clements