Underwater Basket Weaving(1958)

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Mon Dec 8 06:15:51 UTC 2003

>I seriously doubt that there is a real field of underwater weaving, however.
>
>-- Doug Wilson

I originally had the same understanding of "underwater basketweaving"
that everyone has been discussing, but later found out that there is
actually a basketweaving technique in which you keep the work
submerged in water (presumably to soften the fibers so they are
easier to bend). I don't know if it's actually *called* underwater
basketweaving, & in any case it's very different from the scubadiving
image evoked by the college usage. I've also heard "underwater
toenail-clipping", I guess for when "underwater basketweaving" began
to feel too overused, clicheed, not clever enough, &c.
--
Indigo Som
indigo at well.com
http://www.indigosom.com

Fetish of the week: fragrant white flowers (narcissus, tuberose,
night-blooming cereus)