No "I" in "Team" (1964)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 9 01:45:42 UTC 2003

   A sports "teamwork" cliche.  There's no letter "I" in the word "team."
   So?  Take the "L" out of "lover" and it's "over."  Big deal?
   "No 'I' in 'team'" has 14,500 Google hits.  I...er, the team here..checked THE SPORTING NEWS.

(PAPER OF RECORD)
   24 December 1966, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 21, col. 5:
   As for the loss of Sandy Koufax, Ron (Hunt--ed.) added, "We still have a good team.  It takes teamwork and you can't spell 'team' with an 'I'."

(PROQUEST)
   'Every Boy Is Taught to Swim'
By Ed Rumill Chief Sports Columnist of The Christian Science Monitor. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Jul 18, 1964. p. 6 (1 page):
   Teamwork, cooperation, and physical fitness are stressed.  Such signs as "If you don't play to win, why keep score?" and "There's no I in team," hang from bunkhouse rafters to constantly remind boys of the importance of teamwork.

   Sports of The Times
HARVEY ARATON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 25, 2000. p. D1 (1 page):
   For Parcells--who typically embraced the maxim that there is no I in team, only Bill--the strange turn of events that has beclouded the Jets can best be described as wickedly ironic, and better make that with a capital I.