LSSU Word Banishment

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Dec 11 22:43:37 UTC 2003

I think you've missed the point, Larry.  It's not  peel vs. shell or whether they have shells.
The issue was that after you peel them, you DO eat them--you just don't peel them for fun and leave them on your plate.  Why do you need to be told to eat them?
Fritz

I'm wondering what mortal sin was committed by "peel-and-eat shrimp".
I think I know what they are, as well as what they aren't (shrimp
that are already peeled or shelled before they are served), and I'm
not sure how else they would be singled out more efficiently and
elegantly (shrimp with shells still on?  shrimp that need to be
peeled?).  Maybe it's a question of whether you call those plasticky
coverings "shells" rather than "peels", which is fine, except
"shell-and-eat shrimp" sounds odd to me, possibly for phonological
reasons.  (I shell clams, I shell mussels, but I peel rather than
shell shrimp.)  Or maybe it's just overuse, at least around Lake
Superior.

Larry