Chess: Wood-Pusher (1923); Evergreen Partie (1852)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 13 06:44:03 UTC 2003

WOOD PUSHER

   Some chess slang.  Dan (Of DAN'S PAPERS) did a story about Kasparov
playing a machine.  The illustration had the machine taunting the human as a
"woodpusher."
   OED has no entry; HDAS is not there yet; Jonathon Green's CDS has
"1940s+."

   7 January 1923, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 7, col. 6:
_"Wood Pushers" vs. All Stars._

EVERGREEN PARTIE

   My old friend, Sam Sloan, is just as nutty and bizarre as ever.  This
letter is in Google Groups.  "Evergreen Partie" could possibly be recorded.

Subj:   [sloanschesslist] The Evergreen Party