"Stay the Course"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Dec 15 00:24:43 UTC 2003

A "stay" is a rope that supports a mast, esp. on a square-rigged vessel. It
is found in various nautical phrases like "to miss stays" (to fail to come
about). One could easily assume that "stay the course" has something to do
with this, although the earliest citations I'm aware of refer to racing, not
sailing.