December's OED News; Saddam & Hot Dogs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 15 18:49:46 UTC 2003

DECEMBER'S OED NEWS

   Greetings from the Library of Congress.
   As expected, the December OED News letter arrived today.  "Panna cotta" I gotta do now?

  Subj:    Oxford English Dictionary News
  Date:    12/15/2003 7:48:32 AM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    "TOWSEY, David" <david.towsey at OUP.COM>
  To:    oednews-l at oed.com
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

I am writing to let you know that the latest issue of OED News is now
available at http://dictionary.oed.com/newsletters/2003-12/, in both HTML
and PDF format.

In addition to John Simpson's selection of words with interesting
etymologies, which I mentioned in an earlier email, this issue of the
newsletter includes an interview with Abigail Reynolds, the OED's Artist in
Residence.  This is a new enterprise for the Dictionary, and promises to be
a thought-provoking few months, as should be apparent from Abigail's
conversation with my colleague Philip Durkin.

As usual, we also include a list of Appeals for help with particular words:
for example, do you recall having read of someone being described as
"pig-ugly" before 1983?  Or did you make "panna cotta", or see it on a menu,
before 1989? If you can help with any of the words listed, please e-mail
oed3 at oup.com

OED News contains articles by editors, researchers, and contributors on
their work for the OED, and regular updates on the progress of the £35
million/US$55 million revision programme, and is published quarterly. We
will let you know by e-mail as soon as each issue is published, to keep you
informed about the latest news and developments on the OED.

I hope that you enjoy reading OED News.

Peter Gilliver
Associate Editor, Oxford English Dictionary

Visit our web site at http://www.oed.com

OT:  SADDAM & HOT DOGS

   Hot dogs????  At least he wasn't eating a "hero."

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA47THG8OD.html

Dec 15, 2003

Candy Bars, Hot Dogs and Dirty Dishes in Saddam's Hideaway
By Alexandar Vasovic
Associated Press Writer

ADWAR, Iraq (AP) - The yard was a mess, the laundry wasn't done, the
pantry was bare and the only art on the wall was a poster of Noah's
Ark.
Saddam Hussein's hideaway on a farmhouse in northern Iraq looked more
like a derelict property abandoned by squatters than the lavish
palaces he had lived in for years.
___
In the makeshift kitchen, a small fridge contained a few Bounty candy
bars, some hot dogs and a can of 7-UP. There was old bread on a
counter, leftover rice in a pot and dirty dishes in the sink.
___
<more>