History of "Spider Hole"

Fri Dec 19 02:24:48 UTC 2003

Maybe someone already mentioned this? There is an entry for SPIDER HOLES in A
DICTIONARY OF SOLDIER TALK,   by Colonel John R. Elting, USA Ret. et al.
(Scribner's, 1984). It says:

"(Modern) s. Small concealed firing positions from which snipes emerge to
shoot at patrolling troops. Probably from the ingenious lair of the trapdoor
spider, which darats from its hole to snatch unwayr prey."