Breakfast Ball, Gozer, Mulligan (golf shot) (1992)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 21 01:54:28 UTC 2003

http://sortagolf.manilasites.com/mulligan
History of the Mulligan…Sorta

Mulligans are an undeniable part of the rich heritage of golf despite what the USGA might say.  So much so that many golfers have come up with their own alternative "pet" names for a Mulligan (ex. Gozer, Breakfast Ball, etc.).

   The HDAS does not have "gozer" or "breakfast ball."  A "breakfast ball" is a mulligan on the first tee--although see the 1992 citation below.
   I thought I'd search for these and give "mulligan" another try, using the Augusta Archives.  The Augusta National golf course was built in the early 1930s.  No luck, though.

"GOLF" and "BREAKFAST BALL"--279 Google hits
"GOLF" and "GOZER" and "MULLIGAN"--15 Google hits (really, just the article above)

(PROQUEST)
Sports Illustrated. New York: Jun 15, 1992. Vol. 76, Iss. 23;  pg. 44, 5 pgs
What with that wild fluttering of butterflies in your stomach, you will absolutely, positively shank your first shot of the day. This is why it is essential to hire Dawg as your caddie. The 45-year-old Dawg (so named for constantly juggling at least three girlfriends) does not allow mulligans off the number 1 tee. However, he does allow "breakfast balls." Dawg is not totally without civility.

Unfortunately, tournament players bring their own caddies and therefore do not know the pleasures of breakfast balls.

(PROQUEST)
Weekend All Things Considered. Washington, D.C.: Nov 16, 1996.  pg. 1
SIMON: Now is that because the president is taking a few mulligans, as they're called?

LANDEAU: Mulligan being extra shots. He is known to do that. On the first tee it's considered the American thing to do. Sometimes we call it a breakfast ball. But Clinton is alleged to take a few more than that.

(JSTOR)
Among the New Words
Wayne Glowka; Brenda K. Lester
American Speech, Vol. 72, No. 3. (Autumn, 1997), pp. 289-313.
(Pg. 295 has the same 1996 NPR "breakfast ball" citation about President Clinton--ed.)