"Throws like a girl" (1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 21 06:23:30 UTC 2003

   More sports expressions against the full text SPORTING NEWS.  Paper of
Record (www.paperofrecord.com) has just added the years 1990-2002, so now the
entire run of SPORTING NEWS from 1886-2002 is searchable.  You can buy a day pass
for many of these newspaper databases for just $4.95.
   I had posted 1952 for "throw like a girl" (see ADS-L archives).

   22 October 1942, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 3, col. 3:
   "I look like a splinter compared to the rest of my family, " said Tommy
(Hughes--ed.).  "Even my 17-year-old brother, Jack, weighs 190 (Col. 4--ed.)
pounds.  But he'll never be a ball player.  He throws like a girl."

(PROQUEST)
Putting the Fast Ones Over; Putting the Fast Ones Over
By REX LARDNER. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 8,
1966. p. CBBR4 (2 pages)
(First Page--ed.)
   When Harmon Killebrew first came to the Washington Senators, we are told
by Hal Butler, manager Bucky Harris watched him play shortstop.  "'Good grief,'
he exclaimed.  'The kid throws like a girl!'"

Lombardi Happy To End Road Tour; Cards Early One-Point Favorites 'Team Play'
Gladdens Lombardi
By Dave BradyWashington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post, Times Herald
(1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Oct 7, 1969. p. D1 (2 pages):
(Pg. D3--ed.)
   Told that spectators in the San Francisco press box said Jurgensen "throws
like a girl" when he wobbled a couple of completions and appeared to lack
snap in his throws as he passed off-balance, Lombardi said, "I wish I had a lot
of 'girls' like him.  His arm is fine."