Red Rice; Georgia Chicken; Five Fingered Salute; Monkeys & Shakespeare

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 22 09:12:30 UTC 2003

      Some chicken and rice, with other fixings.  The AUGUSTA CHRONICLE
didn't have an early "fixings."

RED RICE

   "Red rice" is not in the latest DARE.  It certainly is an American
regional dish.
   OED has a 1929 "Spanish rice" citation from D. H. Lawrence, and that's it
for that.  OED has only one 1883 "red rice" citation, about Singapore.
   "Red rice" contains "tomato," so maybe the tomato man (Andrew Smith) knows
something...Augusta Archives gave me a "Reduced Prices" as a "red rice(s)"
hit.  "Mild-red Rice" was another "hit."  No early citation was found.

John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999), pg. 267:
_red rice._  Also, "Spanish rice."  A southern seasoned rice dish made with
tomato to give it color.  It is often served with shrimp.

David Rosengarten's IT'S ALL AMERICAN FOOD (2003), pg. 298:
_Red Rice_  This side dish from Charleston and Savannah is not as well known
as Louisiana's Dirty Rice.  But a dish remarkably similar to Red Rice--namely,
the completely inaccurately named Spanish Rice--used to be a home and
cafeteria staple all over the country.  I love the great, dense, tomatoey mouthful of
tender rice that this Red Rice recipe yields.

(AUGUSTA ARCHIVES)
   11 November 1976, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, pg. 2, Food Section, col. 1:
   Where else but in Charleston can you get "Arthur Washington's Red Rice,"
"baked Crabmeat Remick" or "Flounder a la Gherardi."
   A gourmet's guide to the most prestigious restaurants in that city by the
sea is simply covered in a delightful cookbook entitled "Doin' the
Charleston," by Molly
Heady Sillers.
(Col. 2--ed.)
ARTHUR WASHINGTON'S
CHARLESTON RED RICE
(From Adger's Wharf)
4 slices bacon, cut in squares
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 can tomato paste
   salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cooked rice
(Col. 3--ed.)
   Fry the bacon in a large skillet until crisp.  Remove bacon and fry onion
and bell pepper in grease until tender.  Add tomato paste and cooked rice.
Season to taste and add the bacon just before serving.
   Serves 6 to 8.

GEORGIA CHICKEN

   "Georgia Chicken" is a nice entry to be checked against Augusta Archives.
Unfortunately, I didn't find much of anything.
   See Jonathon Green's CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG.  Under "Adirondack
steak," also mentioned are "Georgia chicken," "Arkansas chicken," "Chicago
chicken," "Cincinnati chicken," "Irish chicken," "Boston woodcock," and more.
   DARE has 1971 for "Georgia chicken."

   7 July 1957, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, pg. 9, col. 7:
   The group will be served a famous Georgia chicken barbecue supper with the
Georgia unit in charge.
(It's not clear what "Georgia chicken" means here, but it's "famous"--ed.)

   24 December 1961, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, pg. 2, col. 2:
   Georgia chicken, pork and beef with dairy products will be served by
College of Agriculture student groups.

FIVE-FINGERED SALUTE

   I was re-checking "Bronx cheer" in the SPORTING NEWS and ANCESTRY when I
found the following "1918" citation for "five-fingered salute and Bronx
cheers."  The page clearly had "1948."  I re-checked "five-fingered salute and Bronx
cheers" on www.newspaperarchive.com.  This one and only citation comes up--as
1948!  The same search engine gives two different dates with two different
searches!
   "Five fingered salute" does not appear in Jonathon Green's CASSELL
DICTIONARY OF SLANG or the HDAS.  Both have many other "five finger" citations,
however.

   4 September 1948, MOUNT PLEASANT NEWS (Mount Pleasant, Iowa), pg.4, col. 3
photo caption:
   A FIVE-FINGERED saulte and Bronx cheers are directed at Rev. Lowell N.
Cantrell, Boston, Mass., clergyman without a church who was arrested and found
not guilty of "sauntering and loitering" as he picketed Boston armory, draft
registration headquarters.  But here he is picketing again.  He was arrested a
second time soon after picture of this demonstration was made.

MONEYS, TYPEWRITERS & SHAKESPEARE

   From pre-Roosevelt days?  1920s?

   26 July 1951, HAWARDEN INDEPENDENT (Hawarden, Iowa), pg. , col. 1, "It
Says Here" by R. T. G.:
   I remember when I was about a junior at Iowa U. we used to argue whether a
whole lot of monkeys, pecking away at a whole lot of typewriters could
reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare in a whole lot of years.
   At that time I was inclined to think that a billion monkeys, a billion
typewriters and a billion years of steady pounding would accomplish everything
that Shakespeare did in his short life--and maybe even improve a word here and
there.
   The fellow across the hall thought that the odds were higher than that.
He argued that it would take at least a trillion each of typewriters, monkeys
and years.  (This was in the pre-Roosevelt days when even a million looked
big.)