Fed up

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Mon Dec 22 17:49:39 UTC 2003

I think (whispering the two phrases to myself to see which one sounds more
natural!) that 'fed up of' is my normal usage, and I'm from London.  I can also
say 'fed up with', but it's definitely more stilted.  Maybe that's to do with
the phonology?  It seems easier to say 'fed up of', with consecutive coda-less
syllables that do have onsets (/fe.duh.puh.vit/) than to say the version with a
coda followed immediately by an onset (/fe.duhp.wi.dhit/) (please excuse the
attempts at transcription without an e-mail ssystem that can cope with the
IPA).

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania