"Whole Ball of Wax" (1892); Salt Water Taffy (1893); Peanut Gallery (1876)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 26 06:13:03 UTC 2003

    Nah, there was nothing more for "lunch."
    It's strange that just that one "TANSAAFL" article came up on the first
search, but the other syndicated articles appeared when I checked "Dos Utt."

WHOLE BALL OF WAX

     20 September 1892, GETTYSBURG COMPILER (Gettysburg, PA), pg. 1, col. 8:
   "That's what!" exclaimed the youth, heartily.  "She's the best gal in our
country, and I've had the pick an' choice of all of 'em.  There isn't one of
'em that wouldn't marry me quicker her wink, but this is my choice of the whole
ball of wax."

    12 November 1911, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, pg. 16, col. 8:
   And the W. C. T. U. proposed to put the kibosh on the whole ball of wax.

LIFE OF RILEY

   Nothing great here.

Indianapolis Star - 10/8/1911
...William M. Hersehell read a sketch on tlie LIFE OF RILEY. and Mrs. M. M.
House sang :i.....skeicher. Hev talk dealt with the LIFE OF the Japanese, and
she told OF the.....The program consisted OF readings from RILEY. and Mrs.
Ernest M. Carter and Mrs.....Helen Hyde, the famous portrayer OF child, LIFE OF
Japan. The Fortnightly Literary Club..
Indianapolis, Indiana Sunday, October 08, 1911  773 k

SALT WATER TAFFY

   OED has 1894.  Massachusetts has the "original Atlantic City" salt water
taffy?

   9 September 1893, DAILY NORTHWESTERN (Oshkosh, Wisconsin), pg.
   I took the whole crowd bathing in the morning, sailing and fishing in the
afternoon, then merry-go-rounds, salt water taffy, tin-types, pier,
switchback, creamy soda water, conches, and heaven only knows what.

   22 December 1893, LOWELL DAILY SUN (Lowell, Massachusetts), pg. 3?, col.
7:
WE ARE THE ORIGINATORS
 OF THE FAMOUS ATLANTIC CITY
_Salt Water Taffy_
  ALL OTHERS ARE SIMPLY IMITATORS.
  CARAMELS
And Home Made Candies Strictly Pure and always
Fresh.  Made expressly for retail trade only.
42 CENTRAL STREET

(No business name?--ed.)

PEANUT GALLERY

   DARE also has 1876.  The Augusta (GA) Archives didn't help.  For any
peanut person out there.

   10 June 1876, MOUNTAIN DEMOCRAT (Placerville, California), pg. 2, col. 1:
   As a bid for applause from the political pit and peanut gallery it was a
masterpiece.