Jelly Beans (1894); Jezebel Sauce (1967); Chicken a la King (1906)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 26 09:16:46 UTC 2003

JELLY BEANS

   I had posted to 1896.  I think these cites were added somewhat recently.
Notice that they're all out west.

 Approximately 378 Results      Documents 1 - 10 for Search term(s) "jelly
beans"+AND+range:1753-1894 Search took 0.703125 seconds.

Helena Independent - 2/6/1894
...STICKS FOR 1 FRESH CARAMELS, PCS POUND, JELLY BEANS, 2 POUNDS, FISH.
WEHKVE THE..
Helena, Montana Tuesday, February 06, 1894  527 k

Helena Independent - 1/13/1894
...Crean Marshmallows, Ib. Mixed stick, Ib. JELLY BEANS, Ib...... Spa'iisn
Poannts, Ib..
Helena, Montana Saturday, January 13, 1894  468 k
(This appears to be the first citation, so I checked it out.  You get page 4.
 However, the "Available Publication Pages" on top shows 1-14, with page 5
highlighted.  "Jelly beans" is NOT on page 4.  "Jelly beans" is across the
margin, on another page.  However, that other page is not page 5 and it's not page
3.  I don't have the time right now to check out all fourteen pages--ed.)

Helena Independent - 2/14/1894
...DOZEN STICKS FOR FRESH CARAMELS, PER POUND, JELLY BEANS, 2 POUNDS, FISH.
WEHAVE THE..
Helena, Montana Wednesday, February 14, 1894  518 k

Helena Independent - 3/28/1894
...POUND 76 STICKS OF CANDY FOR 2 POUNDS OF JELLY BEANS 2POUNDSOF MINT
LOZENOES FINE..
Helena, Montana Wednesday, March 28, 1894  531 k

Mountain Democrat - 6/23/1894
...explorer, has returned to New York. Eating JELLY BEANS is the alleged
cause of the death..
Placerville, California Saturday, June 23, 1894  749 k

Helena Independent - 3/24/1894
...POUND 76 STICKS OF CANDY FOR 2 POUNDS OF JELLY BEANS 2 POUNDS MINT
LOZENOES 10 CEDE MS..
Helena, Montana Saturday, March 24, 1894  506 k

Helena Independent - 2/10/1894
...d to DOZEN STICKS FOR CARAMELS, PER POUND, JELLY BEANS, 2 POUNDS, FISH.
THE LARGEST MENT..
Helena, Montana Saturday, February 10, 1894  520 k

Helena Independent - 1/18/1894
...Ib. 2oc French mixed candy, Ib. loc JELLY BEANS, Ib. loc To the economical
smoker..
Helena, Montana Thursday, January 18, 1894  465 k

Helena Independent - 2/8/1894
...DOZEN STICKS FOR FRESH CARAMELS, PER POUND, JELLY BEANS, 2 POUNDS, FISH.
WEHAVETHELAROEST..
Helena, Montana Thursday, February 08, 1894  527 k

Helena Independent - 3/26/1894
...Chlocne 75 STICKS OF CANDY FOR 2 POUNDS OF JELLY BEANS 2 POUNDS OF MINT
LOZENOCS FINE..
Helena, Montana Monday, March 26, 1894  529 k

JEZEBEL SAUCE

   Patricia Bunning Stevens's RARE BITS (1998) has "Jezebel sauce" on page
157:  "Even the good cooks of nineteenth-century America were not particularly
noted for their sauces.  The one fiery exception is Jezebel Sauce, long a
favorite in the Old South."
   "Jezebel Sauce" is not in DARE.  It's not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA
OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK.
   The databases didn't turn up much.  The AUGUSTA CHRONICLE (GA)  didn't
have even one hit.  Newspaperarchive.com has just one hit:

  Gettysburg Times - 12/22/1967
...It cioes not have to be cooked on the ham. JEZEBEL SAUCE 1 jar pineapple
preserve.J. jar.....found an old Sou thorn recipe for i the SAUCE if you insist
t> that's genuinely.....the and return u> nil'.' time while The SAUCE can be
prepared anytime and.....this dinner. Or, if you prefer, cranberry' SAUCE.
This can be bought in the jelly or..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Friday, December 22, 1967  593 k

CHICKEN A LA KING

   See the "William King" obituary in the ADS-L archives.  These are slightly
earlier cites for the dish.  The new Newspaperarchive.com search makes things
easier.
   Caution: do not put Jezebel Sauce on your Chicken a la King.

Massillon Independent - 12/24/1906
...lome At Pompl on LAkes, N. J. CHICKEN A LA KING. Recipe From One of Sew
York's.....And. Allow it to, cook A minute. CHICKEN A. lA KING is. usuAlly
served in A chAfing dish.....of the big populAr [hotels of New York 5s CHICKEN A lA
-kiug. The -recipe, As given by.....smAll pieces the white meAt of A cold roA
st CHICKEN. MAke A sAuce with two tAblespooffuls..
Massillon, Ohio Monday, December 24, 1906  866 k
Pg. 2?, col. 3:
   _CHICKEN A LA KING._
_Recipe From One of New York's Big Popular Hotels._
   A favorite dish served in one of the big popular hotels of New York is
chicken a la king.  The recipe, as given by the chef of the fashionable
establishment, is as follows: Cut into small pieces the white meat of a cold roast
chicken.  Make a sauce with two tablespoonfuls of butter in a saucepan over the
fire.  When the butter melts stir in two heaping tablespoonfuls of flour which
has been well sifted.  When the flour and butter are mixed to a cream pour in
slowly a pint of hot milk, stirring constantly to keep from lumping.  Allow the
sauce to boil up once, then add a teaspoonful of grated onion, a teaspoonful
of salt and the yolks of two eggs.  Stir them briskly through the sauce, add
two truffles and two mushrooms cut in small pieces and fried lightly in butter,
one sweet green pepper cut in shreds after seeds have been removed and a
generous tablespoonful of capers chopped and just a suggestion of grated nutmeg.
Last of all, add the chicken, stir all together and allow it to cook a minute.
 Chicken a la king is usually served in a chafing dish--New York Post.

Atlanta Constitution - 6/17/1910
...Onions MAitre Hotel PotAtoes CHICKEN A lA KING on ToAst RoAst Prime Ribs
of Beef An.....New Corn on Cob I New English PeAs SAlAd A lA WilliAms New PeAch
Pie A lA Mode VAnillA.....fAre for the round limit Most vermont route lA viA
CincinnAti ROUTEN to ClevelAnd LAke.....on or TrAveling PAumier Poor nAntel lA
Pryor Streett AtlAntA GRADY HOSPITAL..
Atlanta, Georgia Friday, June 17, 1910  371 k

Iowa Recorder - 12/21/1910
...hAve A very decent wAy of fixing CHICKEN A lA KING. Hotchkiss hAd
dsjpsrted.....tne I replied, in the sAme wAy. When the CHICKEN cAme, I still found
myself gAzing now.....m A In blue. The trAin wrecked. BlAkeley lA rescued from
the burningcAr by the girl In.....CArpenter, Ogden, S. C. Ill-MAnnered CHICKEN.
Little Robert, 3 yeArs of Age, went..
Greene, Iowa Wednesday, December 21, 1910  735 k

Atlanta Constitution - 2/13/1910
...A lA Angling for A plAce in your CHICKEN A lA KING I But fit for A Queets
Absinthe To.....the meeting will be A tAlk by Hicks on It lA A subject which A
ppeAls to the womAn of.....on TuesdAy And FebruAry IS And in tim first lA
Invited to come And luke their There will.....on business lAst Bliss Rosebud
Gillie of lA the guest of In Mr And JAmes who hAve..
Atlanta, Georgia Sunday, February 13, 1910  509 k

Evening Telegram - 5/20/1909
...we let him if I'll hAve some CHICKEN-A-lA KING. he sAid. All out of A
nswered the.....HENRIETTA Mr. r.r.d Mrs. were :TI ElyiiA lA.-t ThursdAy shopping.
Bom, to .Mr. And Mrs.....nowAdAys music wltfe meAls. Absolutely, lA order to
get servAnts to stAy. hAd to pAt..
Elyria, Ohio Thursday, May 20, 1909  750 k
(This appears to be 1919, not 1909--ed.)

CLUB SANDWICH

   Just a re-check, for anyone interested in "sandwiches."

Trenton Evening Times - 4/26/1897
...refreshments could not be served with CLUB SANDWICHES. It seems that the
board of.....sincerest thanks to th Fin, For add Feather CLUB, who har gent
quite a number of birds.....the. custom of selling. drinks with SANDWICHES ane
this was done en Saturday. "We..
Trenton, New Jersey   Monday, April 26, 1897  834 k

Indiana Progress - 6/17/1886
...3, between the Magentas and some foreign CLUB. SANDWICHES and coffee can
lie had next.....there was left in it. The Magenta base ball CLUB should
organize at once und proceed to.....three gallons at a milking. Our lawn-tennis CLUB
is anxious to try their skill against..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Thursday, June 17, 1886  849 k