pail of tears

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Dec 26 22:56:18 UTC 2003

Yeah, but Dylan was always trying to sound Southern or Appalachian.  As
Trudgill pointed out, his "The times, they are a-changing" is a strange
blend of standard and mountain; he pronounced the a-prefix as [e] and
didn't change the -ng/[N] to [n].  So "them buckets" don't wash with me!

Seriously though, I seem to recall "cried buckets" as the idiom we all grew
up with even in Minnesota--and whether it was as container or droplets
didn't seem to matter.  But my memory is getting older and older. . . .