"All That Jazz" (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 28 00:51:05 UTC 2003

ALL THAT JAZZ

   From ProQuest.  There's a 28-year gap here, though.  Nothing in any other database is anywhere near this early.

THE NEW WEEK'S BILLS; METROPOLITAN EARLE PALACE LITTLE THEATER THE STRAND FOX COLUMBIA
By NELSON B. BELL.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 3, 1929. p. 16 (1 page):
   _FOX_
   "GIRLS GONE WILD."  A William Fox sound picture, featuring Sue Carol and Nick Stuart...
   While there is some justification for the title--in a nice way--this picture is by no means so tawdry as its name implies.  Not that it is any great shakes as drama, but combined with what threatened to be merely another exploitation of the recklessness of modern youth there is a bit of high-power police stuff that partially takes the curse off all that jazz.

Bob Addie's Column . . .
The Washington Post and Times Herald (1954-1959). Washington, D.C.: Sep 13, 1957. p. A19 (1 page)

(I'll have to order a copy of GIRLS GONE WILD for research purposes--ed.)

WHOLE BALL OF WAX

   Congratulations to Doug for "the whole ball of wax."  I expect it to be in PUCK--if that project ever gets finished.
   Not all of the material on newspaperarchive.com is available for the new search engine.  The 1882 citation just never came up.  Also, I limit the years of a search, but still get all the years (to 2003).